Been a while we’ve been asking for it, and now its finally available for purchase! So now we got two options (VIRL and CCIE Builder) what are the differences, which is right for me?
A few highlight of VIRL include…
1. You can use IOSv, IOS-XRv, NX-OSv, and CSR1000v. FINALLY — NXOS (some limitations)
2. CCIE Builder is cloud based (and uses IOU) whereas VIRL will run locally on your machine.
3. There are some l2 switch limitations, not every feature is avaiable like making PVLANs.
4. One needs a hypervisor product like Vmware Workstation to run VIRL. Not sure if using a free one like Virtualbox would work (it might but Cisco says its not supported).
5. Integrate other vms like a windows box into VIRL.
6. Right now there’s 4 packages (see image above)
7. Learn more about VIRL by listening to this podcast http://blogs.cisco.com/perspectives/ciscochampion-radio-s1ep-41-cisco-learning-labs-cll
8. Your PC needs the following requirements…
• Host system must be able to access the Internet periodically
• Four CPU cores and 8GB of DRAM – more resources allows for larger simulations
• Intel VT-x / EPT or AMD-V / RVI virtualization extensions present and enabled in the BIOS
• 50GB of free disk space for installation